Thursday, September 18, 2014

Although I fought my diagnosis for many years, I have come to accept the fact that I was schizophre


"The absolute sincerity can only lead to immobility or madness." Marcel Jouhandeau *** "If the fool persist in his folly, he would meet with wisdom." canadian tire catalogue William Blake *** "You are a schizophrenic me Sartre said: instead of adapting my projects to reality, and I pursued towards against all, taking the real to an accessory. " Simone de Beauvoir "Memoirs of a tidy girl" Home Contact
Elyn R. Saks is Professor of Law at the University canadian tire catalogue of Southern California and the author of the autobiography canadian tire catalogue "The Center can not hold: my journey trough madness" canadian tire catalogue (the center no longer holds, my journey into madness).
There are thirty years old, I was diagnosed with schizophrenia. My prognosis was "grave" I could never live independently, have a job, find a partner, get married. My home is a care center, I would spend my days watching TV in a day hospital with other people ravaged by mental illness. I would work with elementary work when my symptoms would leave me alone. Following my last psychiatric hospitalization at the age of 28, my doctor encouraged me to work as a cashier. If I could provide it, we will review your ability to do a more demanding job, maybe even full-time.
I then took a decision, I decided to write the story of my life. Today I am a professor at the University of Southern California Gould School canadian tire catalogue of Law. I am a member of the Department of Psychiatry at the Medical School at the University of California at San Diego and I am part of the faculty of the New Center for Psychoanalysis. The MacArthur Foundation has granted me the title of "genius" (genius grant).
Although I fought my diagnosis for many years, I have come to accept the fact that I was schizophrenic and that I will be receiving treatment the rest of my life. Indeed, canadian tire catalogue an excellent psychoanalytic and medical treatment got me business. I have always refused, it was the prognosis.
Conventional psychiatric thought says that people like me do not exist. canadian tire catalogue Either I'm not schizophrenic (thank you not to talk to the delusions that clutter my mind) or I would not have done what I did (thank you not to say USC committee or faculty) . But I'm canadian tire catalogue fine. And I undertook research with colleagues from USC and UCLA to show that I'm not the only one. There are others who are schizophrenic and as active canadian tire catalogue as delusions and hallucinations and symptoms that have experienced canadian tire catalogue significant academic and professional success.
In recent years, my colleagues, including Stephen Marder, Alison Hamilton and Amy Cohen and I were together 20 research canadian tire catalogue subjects with schizophrenia and a very high level of functioning (high functionning). They suffered from mild symptoms such as delusions or hallucinations. They had an average of 40 years. Half were women and one of men and half of them belonged to an ethnic minority. All had received undergraduate degrees and a majority either had or were about to have graduate degrees.
At the same time, most were single and without children, which is consistent with their diagnosis. (My colleagues and I are planning to do a study of people with schizophrenia who have a high level of functioning in the sentimental sphere My marriage in midlife -. The best that ever happened to me - was unexpected, after 18 years without any adventure .) Over three-quarters were hospitalized two to five times because of their disease, while three of them have ever been. How these schizophrenic people have succeeded in their studies and in professions such high level?
We learned canadian tire catalogue that in addition to medication and therapy, all had developed techniques to keep away their schizophrenia. For some, it was cognitive techniques. An educator with a Masters degree said he learned to deal with his hallucinations and asked, "What is the evidence? Or is it simply a problem of perception? "Another said," I heard contemptuous voice permanently ... you just throw them away. "
Part of the vigilance with symptoms was "to identify the triggers" to "avoid a critical experiment with symptoms very pronounced," said one participant who works as a coordinator for a nonprofit company. For example, if being locked up with people too long can trigger symptoms, give yourself time alone when traveling with friends. <

No comments:

Post a Comment